Pages

Thursday, June 02, 2011

Alistair Henry: BCIT Tech Writing Grad -- Where is he now?

|Tech Writing Grad Profile|
Alistair Henry


I graduated from BCIT's technical writing program in the spring of 2008 and immediately moved to Amsterdam in the Netherlands. Upon arriving, I found a job with an IT recruitment firm where I was responsible for writing enticing job descriptions and formatting highly technical resumes. Having partnered with a Franchise Consultant for my major project prior to graduating, I continued working for him remotely. I wrote and assembled policy & procedure manuals and edited the work his other writers produced. I was also privileged enough to get a contract with an online radio station where I created how-to guides for their broadcasters.

    I moved to the UK and in 2010 I decided to continue with my education. I was able to enter into a Master's program without having an undergraduate degree as I was given credit for my Associate's Certificate from BCIT. Now I am one year into my two year degree and find I have an advantage over my younger colleagues; writing essays, papers and critical commentaries comes easily to me.

    I am in the process of migrating my career toward my passion; the subject of website usability. This was spawned by my technical writing experience as both require the ability to see through the eyes of the end user; to be an advocate. Next year I will graduate with an MSc in Creative Technologies with a specialization in usability & ergonomics. I am already doing some freelance website usability work for another university and for the National Health Service. I feel my technical writing education and experience played an integral role in sending me down the path I am currently on.


    -- 
    Alistair Henry



    No comments:

    Post a Comment